Salmon Dog Cookies
by Michael Branigan
(Greene, RI, USA)
This recipe is based on the Salmon Cakes recipe from this site. Wanted to make a harder dog cookie so I tweaked the recipe based on two other dog cookie recipes that I make regularly. Our Schipperke's go crazy for them.
2-14.75 oz. Cans Wild Salmon
12 ozs. Whole Wheat Flour (~3 cups)
Unbleached regular flour for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Drain salmon well in a colander. Place in stand mixer bowl.
3. Start mixer on slow speed to break up the salmon chunks. (1-2 minutes)
4. Add the eggs and continue mixing for about one more minute until combined.
5. Add the wheat flour and mix until well combined. Mixture should be smooth and doughy.
6. Roll out the dough onto floured surface into ~1/4" thickness and cut into shapes with dog cookie cutters or however desired. (I roll it out onto parchment paper for easier handling)
7. Bake on a parchment lined or lightly greased cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes.
8. Turn off the oven and let them cool overnight.
Tips & Techniques
•Be sure to drain the salmon very well, otherwise the mixture will be too wet.
•Dust the dough with regular white flour as needed to prevent sticking while rolling.
•Dock the rolled out dough by using a fork to pierce the surface in order to help steam escape.
•Placing the above cookies after baking and cooling a dehydrator for 4-5 hours at 155° to dry them out and make them even harder. Could alternately use a very low oven temperature, ~200°, and bake even longer to dry out.
•Store in refrigerator or freeze.
Chef's Comments ~ Awesome! :) I'm glad to hear that you were able to customize my recipe for salmon cakes for dogs into a treat that is better suited to your Schipperke's.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to FAVORITE Dog Treat Recipes.