Chicken Rice and Vegetable Stew for Dogs
(Riverside, California, USA)
1 Chicken (whole or pre-cut)
1 cup of Brown or White Rice
1/2 pkg - 14oz Peas and Carrots
1/3 pkg - 14oz cut Green Beans (not French cut)
1) Put chicken in a large pot with enough water to cover the chicken by 1". Cover with tight fitting lid.
2) Boil the chicken till it separates easily from the bones.
3) Remove chicken from the water to a platter to cool.
4) Pour the rice into the broth, stir and bring to a boil. Turn heat to simmer. Cover and simmer till almost done.(read your package directions and subtract 5 minutes from cooking time)Water should not be all absorbed. If it is, add enough water to make a little broth.You don't want it to burn or be dry, but not so much that you have soup.
5) Separate chicken from the bones while the rice cooks. Discard bones and cut chicken pieces. If your dog is large, you can leave the pieces larger. If your dog is a toy breed, you will want to pull apart or cut into bite size pieces.
6)When rice is 5 minutes prior to done, add vegetables to it and stir thoroughly. Bring it to simmer temperature and cook covered for approximately 5 minutes or until vegetables are hot.(You can also add chopped spinach, celery cut into bit size pieces and white beets cut into bit size pieces)Stay away from corn and grains as they have been proven to cause allergic reactions in some dogs. If adding fresh veggies like celery and/or beets, you will need to add them 15 minutes prior to the end of the cooking process.
7) Remove from heat, add the chicken pieces and stir thoroughly. This recipe will make approximately 2.5 quarts of food.
8)Allow to cool then store portions in zip lock freezer bags till ready to use. You can freeze portions you will not be using right away and remove from freezer 2 hours before you will be feeding your pet.
I have small dogs so I use small freezer bags and use one portion and freeze 2 portions.