Help Your Dog Stay Calm
& Dog Fire Safety Day
You Can Help Your Dog
A warm night, blankets on the grass and looking up at a dazzling firework display can be very enjoyable for us ... but not for our dogs. The sounds, smells and lights can overwhelm even the calmest of dogs. Follow a few easy steps to help your dog handle fireworks and thunderstorms.
Steps to Stay Calm
- Exercise - When you know there will be fireworks, or even a thunderstorm, plan accordingly. The day of the event take your dog on a long and rigorous exercise jaunt. This will vary with every dog, their energy level and age. However, whatever is appropriate for your dog, get them tired! They'll be more likely to want to rest when all the activity starts.
- Secure the Doors - When a dog is startled, they can easily wiggle through the smallest of openings. Secure any doors and windows in your home.
- Stay Indoors - Speaking of your home, keep your dog inside during the time of fireworks. If at all
possible, stay with your dog, too.
- Comfort - Make a cozy place for your dog to retreat to. Fill her crate or other place of comfort with favorite toys and blankets.
- Distractions - Turn on the TV for background noise, or better yet, play a Calming CD of Music Made for Dogs
- Specialty Products - You may want to consider some specialty products if the above tactics aren't enough. An item that is often successful in relieving stress in dogs is a snugly fit Anti Anxiety Jacket or Coat. Another route to go is with calming essential oils. You can find Dog Safe Drops, Sprays and Diffusers that contain a blend of essential oils proven to help calm dogs.
Your dog relies on you to help her feel calm and safe, so please consider applying one or all of the above
suggestions if you have a stressed canine.
Chicken Broth Dog Treats
Our Chicken Broth Dog Biscuit Recipe is a perfect fit for a stressed out dog. The first reason is that the ingredients are very mild. The last thing you want is an upset tummy when your dog is nervous. The second reason is that the dog biscuit is a wonderful vessel for calming drops like Rescue Remedy for Dogs. Or, if you don't have the time to make a homemade calming dog treat, you can purchase a commercially made package of calming dog treats.
If your dog doesn't mind all the ruckus from holidays, thunderstorms or life in general, you should still make these chicken broth dog treats. :) Here are some of the reviews for this dog treat recipe:
- "I baked these cookies for my little dog today, they were very easy!"
- "My Micki girl loves them. I keep them in the freezer to give her a cold treat. Thanks for coming up with this idea."
- "My mini schnauzer loved this recipe. I swear she waits in the kitchen while they're baking. The recipe is very easy to follow and easy to double or triple to make extra for other doggie friends."
July Dog Events
July 21st - National Craft for Your Local Shelter Day - Yep, you heard me right, you get a whole day of recognizing and appreciating your local shelter by making beds, toys, bandanas, and my favorite ... homemade dog treats! :) Find out more from this fun site Sew Doggy Style:
July 15th - National Pet Fire Safety Day - We can't spend every day making treats and crafts, we have to get prepared and make a fire safety plan for our dogs sake. The AKC has several tips on how to keep our dogs from accidentally starting fires, and how to keep them safe in case a fire breaks out. Read more here:
July 31st - National Mutt Day - This is a special day for all of the mixed breed dogs that inhabit our lives. If you have room in your heart and home, please
consider adopting a dog in need. If not, at least try to donate your time or money to your local charity to help the deserving "Mutts" in your area. Learn more here:
Easy & Fun (and of Course Healthy)
Summer is all about Easy & Fun, so why make homemade dog treats difficult, time consuming and unpleasant?
Dog Treat Recipes
Get in and out of the kitchen and spend more time with your dogs with my easy, and of course healthy, dog treat recipe eBooks. :)
Both of my eBooks, 15 Easy Dog Treat Recipes and my second eBook Dog Cake Recipes for Every Occasion have quick, easy and delicious recipes with helpful step by step pictures.
We get lots of feedback from our website visitors, just like you. Here's what some of them are saying . . .
"Thanks so much. You have given me a little more information. I have been working on this for a very long time. I didn't think there was anywhere else to go for information. Your website is really wonderful. Thanks again. "
What are your thoughts? Don't keep them to yourself, Contact Us and let us know what you like, or even dislike, about Dog Treat Kitchen.com. The more you share, the more you help all dog treat bakers, and their dogs.
Are you and your dog hungry for more? Let me know what you would like to see on the Dog Treat Kitchen.com.
Want more of a certain type of recipe? Need treat ideas for your next dog party? Let me know what's missing from the dog treat pantry and I'll get to it right away.
Thanks for reading. Until next time,
Happy Dog Treat Baking!